For a new welder, it can be hard to know where to start. There are a lot of options out there and not all of them are equal in quality or price. This article will discuss the best tig welder under 1000 for beginners who want to find one that is affordable but still works well enough so they won’t have to upgrade anytime soon.
There is a lot to consider when choosing a welder. For most people, price is an important factor. If you really want to get into welding and don’t want to spend too much money, especially right away, then keep reading for some good information.
Best TIG Welder Under 1000
Welders are always on the lookout for a new tig welder that is both affordable and performs well. With so many different options to choose from, it can be hard to know which one will best suit your needs. We have compiled a list of the top five tig welders under 1000 dollars, so you can make an informed decision about which one will work best for you.
- AHP AlphaTIG 200X
- LINCOLN ELECTRIC CO K2698-1
- Weldpro Digital TIG 200GD
- PRIMEWELD TIG225X
- Everlast PowerTIG 185DV
- Lincoln Electric LE31MP
- LOTOS TIG200ACDC
- Weldpro 200 Amp Inverter Multi Process
- Everlast Power Tig 201
- LOTOS LTPDC2000D Non-Touch Pilot Arc Plasma Cutter Tig Welder
- PowerArc 140ST 40 Amp
- AMICO POWER TIG 160DC
- PrimeWeld 3-in-1 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
The AHP AlphaTIG 200X is the best tig welder under 1000 that falls into this category. It is very inexpensive and can weld on steel, iron, aluminum and stainless steel. The duty cycle on it is maxed at 140 amps at 120V.
It has an aluminum wire drive and comes with a split-core current transformer. It weighs 45 pounds and is fairly lightweight so it can be easily transported to different worksites. If you are new, the best way to learn how to use this particular welder is by taking advantage of the free training material that AHP offers.
- Fully Controlled LCD Screen WILL BE SHIPPED. 200 HZ on PULSE and AC FREQ, NEW TORCH, 3 YEAR Warranty
- will do 1/4″ aluminum and 3/8″ mild steel and 110/220 volts and is capable of welding 7018, 6013
- Advanced Inverter Technology with PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) Using IGBT technology
- Quality TIG welding on aluminum, stainless, or steel and precise welding of thinner-gauge materials
- HF start tig and includes a foot pedal for great tig welding control and Operation
This is one of the best tig welders under 1000 out there. It is powerful and durable enough to do everything, but it is also affordable. Just about any beginner will be able to use this welder to get started. I highly recommend that you purchase it.
Lincoln Electric Company is a respected company that has been making welding equipment for over 100 years. They know what they are doing and the K2698-1 is proof of their skill. It can also run on 110 or 220-volt power, which means you could even take it with you if you need to.
Here are some important details:
- Welds up to 3/8 inch material
- Has a duty cycle of 25 percent at 100 amps, 30 percent at 150 amps and 35 percent at 200 amps. Anything above those limits could cause damage so it is important not to exceed the stated numbers.
This welder uses a different type of power supply than other types of welders. It uses a cold wire, which means you do not need to worry about gas or an extra tank for shielding gas. This can make welding on location much easier and more convenient because it eliminates those additional steps.
- Durable iron powder-coated case
- Welds up to 3/8 inch material
This welder is good for beginners and those just getting into the welding world. It’s also a bargain for those on a tight budget, as it can be found for under $1000. It runs at 200 amps and 50% duty cycle and has the ability to operate with DC or AC power (it comes with an inverter).
For light-duty welding needs, this welder will work perfectly fine. Durability is also a plus, as it’s made of metal rather than plastic like many other models. The only downside that experts mention about this welder is that it does not come equipped with advanced features such as surface grinding, polarity control, additional gas valves, or automatic spool gun control. This means you will need to buy additional accessories if you want to do more than basic welding tasks.
- DC or AC welding
- Voltage range of 90 to 140 VAC/DC
- Maximum output of 200 amps at 50% duty cycle
- Input voltage of 220 VAC, 60Hz
- Weighs 111 pounds. Dimensions are 14 x 13 x 21 inches
If you are looking for an affordable tig welder to get you started, one of the best out there is PRIMEWELD TIG 225X. For beginners, this is a good option because it is not complicated to use (which can lead to frustration). Plus, it has just enough features to give you some flexibility when it comes to producing quality welds. The cost is around $300 which means that you won’t have to spend too much money on another welder in the future if this one doesn’t work out.
The Primeweld Tig225x includes something called “stick start.” It’s designed so that the user can easily get metal flowing again after stoppage by pushing down on the trigger handle. It also reduces the chance of unintentional starts (if you let go of the trigger because you’re paying attention to what you’re doing).
- 220V/110V switchable operating voltage
- Digital display that shows the percent of output power and automatic amperage control
- Compact design with an easy-to-use push-button for welding start and a sliding heat switch. The heat range is adjustable from 0 to 9. The temperature can be adjusted from 100 to 600 degrees Celsius.
- Piezo-electric power source with a 90 wire cup and a ceramic brush for quick starts. The wire cup can be used to weld aluminum, steel, iron and stainless steel alloys.
- The fan will only start when needed, which is a great feature if you don’t want it going at full speed during your work.
- The gas regulator valve can control the shielding gas flow from 10 to 30 cubic feet per hour with an inlet pressure of 18-40 PSI. The torch uses a 5/8″ hardened steel solid tungsten electrode that is 2.4mm wide and 300mm long. It has a 1/8″ diameter pilot arc, for stable operation.
One of the best tig welders for beginners is the Everlast PowerTIG 185DV. It’s affordable enough to buy upfront, not needing to spend more than $1500 for a quality machine right off the bat, so you can save some money for other tools and materials.
The downside is that it only has one pedal which means you have to work for two hands at once, but it should be fine if you’re just starting out because it’s not very difficult to use.
- Auto-Set Dial makes the machine easier to use by automatically adjusting voltage for you, eliminating guesswork.
- Variable output control is very useful because it provides more control over welding speed so you can have finer detail work or better penetration if needed. It also works well with aluminum or steel and should make your jobs a lot simpler and less frustrating.
- Auto-Line technology makes the machine simpler to use because it means you don’t have to plug the welder into a wall outlet or a generator, which can be a pain and often requires an extension cord. Instead, it will give power from a car battery as soon as you turn it on if you’re using the vehicle’s engine.
The Lincoln Electric LE31MP is one of the most popular welders on the market. It has an affordable price point that makes it perfect for beginners, yet it still has enough power to get all of your jobs done quickly. The welding speed on this model is good for beginners, but you’ll want to make sure you are using a proper wire feeder if you are making long continuous welds.
- Comes with a lot of accessories.
- Welds up to 3/16″ steel.
- This welder is capable of: TIG and MIG Welding, Stick and Flux-Core Arc Welding (FCAW) and Stud and Tubular Arc Welding (SMAW).
- This welder comes with Aluminum Spoolgun, two carbon-steel contact tips 24-inch gas hose, one argon regulator and one flowmeter with gauges.
- Has an anti-stick coating on the welding surface that helps prevent sticking to the electrode
- Welds up to 3/16″ steel
This is a great option for beginners and works well. One recommendation for this welder is that you practice using it with scrap metal at first, then with some thinner steel pieces when you feel ready to try.
It doesn’t come with the foot pedal, which is no big deal as you can still work without it. And since you can use flux-core wire with this welder, it should be easier for beginners to get used to and won’t cost as much if they need to switch out.
- Fluxcore capabilities
- 160 amps of power, good for even the toughest job
- 200A output voltage
- TIG/Stick capable
- 65 lb weight – not too heavy but very durable and easy to set up. Great for small spaces or just general uses around the house. It’s also under 1000 dollars so it’s an affordable option.
Inverter welders are great because they can be used for other processes besides tig welding, including MIG and MMA. Weldpro’s 200 Amp Inverter Multi-Process TIG Welder is a great option for a beginner welder who wants to get a good price for a quality product. The 200 amp power output will be able to handle most basic welding jobs, even larger ones.
The DC inverter technology also means the welder is efficient and uses only as much power as it needs. This can help to save money on extra energy costs
- Delivers 200 amps of output, ranging from 10-200 Amps, with pulse and grind modes and a maximum voltage of 600 V for household or 220V for industrial
- Average arc time of 0.8 to 1.2 seconds and can travel at a speed of 2-5/32 inches per second with the included foot pedal, accessories and extended cable for more flexibility and convenience
- It has an adjustable output frequency from 10 Hz to 60 Hz and features a 5-inch color LCD display that users can adjust for various parameters right at the welder, such as current and voltage
- Is equipped with an Auto-Polarity feature that will automatically detect and set polarity to either DCEN (red) or DCEP (black) modes; also has a 13 mm cable with a gas injection system which allows users to connect directly to a tank, reducing the need for hoses
- The unit has a built-in fan to provide maximum cooling and protects against overheating; also comes with a two-year limited warranty
The Everlast Power Tig 201 is a lower-priced option with a power range of 20 amps. It has a digital display and a flexible exhaust system, so it is easy to use and makes clean cuts. The Everlast Power Tig 201 also has a rust-proof coating and an ETL certification.
The Everlast Power Tig 201 is a great option for someone who is just starting out. It has the ability to do materials up to 3/16″ thick with its 180 amp tig torch. This welder can heat materials so they are strong enough to be used on different metals or workpieces without them being warped or damaged in any way. This welder is lightweight and easy to roll around, and it can be used on a daily basis. Although this welder requires more skill than some of the others, if you’re just starting out then this is a great way to begin working with metal.
- Digital IGBT Inverter design incorporates a simple analog look and feel
- TIG output of 200A @ 35% Duty Cycle operating on 240V
- TIG output of 125A @ 35% Duty Cycle operating on 240V
- Dual Voltage capability allows the unit to be used with 120V or 240V single phase service
- Pulse function with fully adjustable parameters up to 250Hz
- Digital display for accurate setting of amps.
- Features Lift start and High-Frequency modes for DC welding
- 160A Stick weld function with arc force control can be used with welding electrodes such as E6011, E7018, and E7014 (Not E6010 capable)
- 35 Series DINSE-style connectors
- Consumable Starter Kit (Tungsten not included)
10. LOTOS LTPDC2000D
If you’re looking for a lower cost option than most of the other welders with similar features, then the Lotos LTPDC2000D is the best one. It’s around $300, so it falls within your budget, and with this welder, you don’t have to worry about the fine details.
- It doesn’t have a lot of extra features, but the ones it does have will get you started with welding so that you can gain some experience.
- If you need to upgrade at any point down the line, then this welder will have done its job and been able to keep up with whatever else has come along since then.
- This Lotos LTPDC2000D is a good, basic machine. It’s very easy to set up and use. You can start welding within minutes of receiving it because there are no prolonged set-up processes with this machine.
- The arc control with the AC input frequency range provides a more precise wire feed speed for your materials, which leads to better results overall.
The PowerArc 140ST is our top pick for best tig welder under 1000. It includes a number of great features for beginners, including an auto-set arc force that will help you get your first few welds down quickly. It also includes an easy-to-read display that tells you if your settings are correct.
- Power Arc 140ST 40 Amp
- Has an affordable price
- Includes power controls
- Works well with aluminum, steel, copper and other materials.
AMICO POWER TIG 160DC. This is a great tig welder that will work for both beginners and experts since it doesn't have the expensive features that are unnecessary for beginners. With an output of 160 amps and a voltage that ranges from 100-280 volts, this is a fairly standard machine.
The downsides include the fact that it needs to be used with a separate foot pedal while most other welders will come with their own remote control.
- The output is 160 amps, which is standard. The voltage can range from 100 to 280 volts for better flexibility.
- This machine weighs about 58 pounds, so not too heavy but still a little on the heavy side. It comes with its own carrying case for portable purposes.
- The price ranges depending on where you buy it; Amazon has it listed at just above $780.00, which is a good price for all that it can do.
- There are many great reviews about this machine, mostly because it has the power of commercial-grade machines but is still not too expensive at under $1000.
A good and affordable welder for beginners is the PrimeWeld 3-in-1 50 Amp Plasma Cutter PD3600X. For only $799.99, you will be getting a welder that is easy to use and can do TIG, Stick, as well as MMA welding. This machine comes with a gas regulator as well as a 10 ft air hose. It also includes a regulator wrench and any extra accessories that you might need for your particular project.
- PrimeWeld 3-in-1 50 Amp Plasma Cutter has a 300 PSI max input pressure for flexibility in what types of materials you can weld with it.
- The gun power on this welder is 15.0 Amps.
- It has a trigger switch for an easy start and stops mechanism, in addition to having the option to plug in your plasma cutting torch for additional functionality if you decide to do another form of welding in addition to TIG is in your future.
- It only weighs 43 pounds and has a compact design that makes it easy to carry around if necessary.
- Users have also noted that you can get good welds for your projects with this machine without having to spend an arm and a leg on replacing parts or upgrading them.
After you get all of your projects finished using the PrimeWeld 3-in-1 50 Amp Plasma Cutter, you will definitely want to keep this machine in your garage because of its portability and ease of use. It is great for beginners but also has some additional features that more advanced welders will appreciate as well.
Q1. Can you TIG weld without gas?
Yes, you can TIG weld without gas. However, it is not recommended because you won't get the best results.
Q2. What's stronger TIG or stick?
TIG welding is stronger than stick welding because the heat source comes from a hot electrode to melt filler metal.
TIG welders work by heating up an electrode and then running current through it to create a controlled, solid fusing that can penetrate much deeper into the metal--often as much as 5/16 inch (8mm). Stick welding works by heating up rods and feeding them into cracks to melt and join separate pieces of metal together.
Q3. What's the difference between TIG & MIG?
Mig or flux core welder will use solenoid gas flow to penetrate the joint, but this won't work on thick material such as steel plate thicker than 3/32". The other option for MIG welders is if you're using it for thin materials, such as the sheet metal we use in our projects; then you can do that because the MIG welder will penetrate.
MIG welders are much more efficient and easy to use than TIG welders. It's a very common welding method and is perfect for beginners because you don't need expensive equipment to get started.
Q4. What gas is best for TIG welding?
TIG welding requires the use of shielding gas. Argon is recommended by many because it will protect your weld from oxidation and burning during high heat.
Q5. Is TIG Welding better than MIG Welding?
TIG welding is not quite as common as MIG welding because TIG welding requires much more equipment to get started. It also takes more time to create each weld. For these reasons, a lot of people prefer to use a MIG welder for thicker material.
MIG welding is very efficient and easy to use even if you're new to welding. It's not recommended for thinner materials such as metal sheets, but it's perfect for beginners because you don't need expensive equipment to start.
Q6. Can you TIG weld steel with 100 argon?
Yes, you can TIG weld steel with 100 argon.
Q7. Can I use CO2 for TIG welding?
Yes, you can use CO2 for TIG welding. However, it is not as effective as using argon.
Q8. How much does Argon CO2 Mix cost?
Argon CO2 Mix (or ACM) is typically 10% cheaper than Argon.
It's not uncommon to use ACM for TIG welding because it can be less expensive than pure Argon. The downside, however, is that the gas flow isn't as fast and doesn't last as long.
Q9. What happens when you mix CO2 with AC?
CO2 will slow down the arc which will make it hard to get a good weld. It also contributes to a more difficult cleaning process of the welders helmet because there's constant condensation on the inside of the helmet.
Q10. What gas do I need to weld steel?
For TIG welding steel, you need to use a shielding gas. Argon is recommended because it will protect your weld from oxidation and burning during high heat.
If you’re looking for Best TIG Welder Under 1000, make sure to read our article! We hope this helps you find the perfect tool for your welding needs. Have any of these products caught your eye? Let us know in the comments below which one or ones are best suited to your needs and why!